Vocational education that had been created and administered by hospitals were transferred to community colleges during the 1970's. Chedoke Hospital had instituted training schools in radiology techniques, laboratory techniques and nursing. All of these programmes were transferred to Mohawk College. An agreement between the Ontario Ministry of Colleges and Universities and the Ontario Ministry of Health transferred previously approved 2 year diploma programs community colleges as of Sept. 1, 1973. Thus the Hamilton and District School of Nursing at Chedoke Hospital and Hamilton General Hospital School of Nursing officially came to an end.
The Hamilton General Hospital was opened in 1882 in its current location. The School of Nursing opened in 1890 and closed in 1973 when the programme was transferred to Mohawk College.